Ahhhh, letterwriting! I do that! I just blather away, rather like this blog, without reading back or checking (as you may have noticed) as I cringe when I read it - have always been that way and can't see me changing now.
I first started writing letters when we moved to the West Country from the West Midlands. Up there we were surrounded by family and not many days went past without us seeing at least one of them. Moving here we knew no-one. Not one single person. And I couldn't understand a word most people here said! So, I started writing to people back home. I wrote to my grandparents, my best friend Julie (who I last wrote to the day before receiving this prompt - what a goody goody!) and even our old nextdoor neighbours who must have been the age of my grandparents. This latter letter friendship only ended last year and has left a huge hole.
So, I read through the prompt, had a sneaky peek at everyone else's work (all of it beautiful and very inspiring) and then had a long think. I decided that I didn't really want to write a letter to a younger me because there's far too much that I'd feel the need to rake up and then be unable to stop thinking about - sometimes good therapy, other times not. Then, I know I keep harping on about turning 40, I decided that I'd write a letter for my daughter when she turns 40 - poor girl! Rather than give her any advice, which she'd probably be better off without, I've written it more in a diary kind of form, telling her what we'd been doing in half term, what's going on at the moment with the rest of the family, including a photo of her in her Halloween get up and including a couple of draft letters she'd written the previous day to my nan and grandad (the letter writing carries on another generation, and not because there's no other way to get in touch with them as grandad's fully email conversant!). I've also explained how the letter has come about and told her to get on the internet (if it still exists by then!) and check out Shimelle's website - no pressure there Shimelle!!
Hopefully I'll manage to put it somewhere she'll find it in 29 years time(!!!!), she'll remember to open it, and get something out of it when she does. My only worry is that the stickers on the envelope will come off and she'll be thinking she has a letter from her 4 year old mother - how freaky would that be?!
That sounds like a great letter! I smiled at the thought of the loss of the 'zero'!
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of writing a letter for her to read in the future - like a time capsule! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I was wondering this morning what I'd think of my style of writing aged 40 when I'm a fusty old 79 year old - hope Holly scrapbooks my reaction!!
ReplyDeletelove this idea :-)
ReplyDelete